I loved our yellow house.
I loved the lavender lilac bushes that grew near the wood shed.
I loved the playhouse in the back that my father built.
I loved the "underground" trampoline that eventually lost so many springs, it split down the middle with one fatal jump from my brother Brock.
I loved our neighbors. The Nuchetelli's: An older couple whom I tried to say hi to once while eating a carrot. I choked on the carrot and never said a word. And dearest Ray..the woman with the glass eye and a self-playing piano.
I loved my pink, banana-seat bike. Once, while pedaling (and singing), I swallowed a butterfly...then coughed out the wet mound onto the sidewalk.
I loved the discoveries...like the bird buried in Annie's kennel. Tweeting all the time. It just didn't seem to be right, so one day, after much digging, I discovered crickets.
I loved the big tree. Climbing high to the skinny branches, feeling the breeze, and having tea parties with the birds.
I loved the yellow house.
I loved the lavender lilac bushes that grew near the wood shed.
I loved the playhouse in the back that my father built.
I loved the "underground" trampoline that eventually lost so many springs, it split down the middle with one fatal jump from my brother Brock.
I loved our neighbors. The Nuchetelli's: An older couple whom I tried to say hi to once while eating a carrot. I choked on the carrot and never said a word. And dearest Ray..the woman with the glass eye and a self-playing piano.
I loved my pink, banana-seat bike. Once, while pedaling (and singing), I swallowed a butterfly...then coughed out the wet mound onto the sidewalk.
I loved the discoveries...like the bird buried in Annie's kennel. Tweeting all the time. It just didn't seem to be right, so one day, after much digging, I discovered crickets.
I loved the big tree. Climbing high to the skinny branches, feeling the breeze, and having tea parties with the birds.
I loved the yellow house.

Ouch, that makes me miss childhood too much. Very well written.
ReplyDeleteI loved you in that house too!! Such good memories, we were such best buddies. Remember our Origami phase? I missed you when you moved! But really enjoyed reading this, and all your posts. You're a great writer! Thanks for posting the link on facebook. I'll be back ;)
ReplyDeleteorigami! i forgot! oh we had a great time together...
ReplyDeleteThe joys and simplicity of childhood. I wish that life as an adult could be like that. I love that you had tea parties with the birds!
ReplyDelete